The Vegan Girl’s Guide to Sustainable Winter Coats
The Best Vegan, Sustainable Winter Coats & Jackets from Around the World.
Make some tea, grab your snacks, because this is going to be a long article! That’s right because in 2018/2019 we have a pretty decent selection of sustainable, stylish, vegan winter coats (and jackets) to lust after.
Before we dive in, just a few things to note. Brand names appear in alphabetical order below. And while the majority of these brands are focused on sustainability, most are not 100% vegan.
I’ll try to include notes about the options available with each brand.
Based in Germany, Armed Angels focuses on ethical and sustainable fashion for men and women. They have many vegan options and seem to be expanding their selection each year. I admire that they price their items at affordable prices
Also, my Armed Angels order came in a biodegradable box made from grass! How cool is that?
Vegan, Sustainable Coats & Jackets from Armed Angels.
- Leonore Coat made of recycled Polyester – Black
- Lucy Parka made of recycled Polyester – Black
- Lucy Parka made of recycled Polyester – Deep Olive
- Pamina Blouson made of recycled Polyester – Antique Gold
- Maxi Trenchcoat made of TENCEL™ Lyocell – Black
- Maxi Trenchcoat made of TENCEL™ Lyocell – Grant Beige
- Ricarda Windbreaker made of recycled Polyester – Dusty Pink
- Chiara Trenchcoat made of recycled Polyester – Dusty Pink
CheckyBlazer made of TENCEL™ Lyocell Mix
Easily the O.G. sustainability-focused brand on this list! Now, I’ve read people knocking the E.F. brand as being focused towards “older ladies,” but I think those claims are totally unfair. Eileen Fisher designs are timeless and heavily influenced by traditional Japanese designers. They are classy, bohemian, and at times edgy. (Check, check, check for my style closet.)
Eileen, the woman not the brand, is an ethical force to be reckoned with. She was creating sustainability reports and using organic fabrics long before those terms were in-vogue. Her brand’s values have always been towards a greener tomorrow; however, this is not an exclusively vegan brand.
Eileen Fisher also has a permanent Petites line, which is why I continue to buy to this brand. Your girl is only 5’2 and doesn’t have the patience for tailoring!
Vegan, Sustainable Coats & Jackets from Eileen Fisher.
Note: If you are on-the-fence between two sizes, I would recommend sizing down with this brand.
- Chevron Recycled Nylon Hooded Coat – Black
- Organic Cotton Twill Coat – Midnight
- Organic Cotton Nylon Reversible Jacket – Midnight
- Organic Cotton Terry Kimono Jacket – Ecru
- Petite: Morse Code Tencel Viscose Kimono Jacket
- Petite: Organic Cotton Terry Kimono Jacket – Ecru
- Petite: Organic Linen Trenchcoat – Orange Pekoe
- Petite: Handwoven Peruvian Organic Cotton Kimono Jacket
When I think of Everlane, I think of
If you buy from Everlane during Black Friday, your sale will go towards creating a chemical-free farm for workers in Vietnam! Learn more about Everlane’s Black Friday Fund and why building a Freight Farm can improve the health of those it feeds.
Vegan, Sustainable Coats & Jackets from Everlane.
- The ReNew Lightweight Half-Zip Puffer – Surplus
- The ReNew Lightweight Puffer – Rose
- The ReNew Lightweight Puffer – Lavender
- The ReNew Long Puffer – Black
- The ReNew Long Puffer – Brick
- The ReNew Oversized Parka – French Blue
- The Drape Trench Coat – Khaki
- The Drape Trench Coat – Navy
- The City Anorak – Surplus
- The City Anorak – Navy
Frank and Oak
Frank and Oak are the new kids on the sustainable block. Previously a men’s fashion boutique, Toronto-based Frank and Oak have expanded into women’s wear. And they have decided to work
While Frank and Oak Women’s is ramping up their sustainability offers, not everything from the brand is vegan or sustainable. For their Fall/Winter 2018 collection, they introduced several coats made from recycled plastic water bottles. I tried them on and will vouch for them being super toasty.
Vegan, Sustainable Coats from Frank & Oak.
- The Hygge Oversized Cocoon Coat with Recycled 3M™ Thinsulate™ – Black
- The Alpine Parka with Recycled 3M™ Thinsulate™ – Dark Green
- The Capital Waterproof Hooded Parka with Recycled 3M™ Thinsulate™ – Black
- The Explorer Winter Puffer Jacket with Recycled 3M™ Thinsulate™ – Red
- The Explorer Winter Puffer Jacket with Recycled 3M™ Thinsulate™ – Blue
I’m going to chalk this up to Reformation being based out of L.A., but they have a tiny selection of vegan winter coats. Having said that, the Ref coats this year are super cute. Reformation is not a vegan company, but they are dedicated to reducing waste, producing sustainable fabrics, using deadstock rolls, and breathing new life into recycled fibers.
Vegan, Sustainable Coats from Reformation.
Stella McCartney serves
Stella pioneered both a “skin-free” leather and an “alter-suede” fabric that could pass as the real thing. I would love to see her creativity put to use for silk and wool alternatives.
Vegan, Sustainable Coats & Jackets from Stella McCartney.
Save the Duck
Save the Duck is a vegan brand that specializes in warm winter coats, without the cruelty. From what I can tell on their website, not all their designs make use of sustainable practices. But several do. They also seem to strive for fair factory production and transparency.
Styles from the “Recy” fabric line use 100% recycled polyester
Vegan, Sustainable Coats & Jackets from Save The Duck.
- Recy Hooded Jacket – Blue Black
- Recy Hooded Quilted Coat – Brown Black
- Recy Hooded Jacket – Burgundy
- Recy Quilted Hooded Coat – Frozen Grey
- Recy Hooded Jacket – Frozen Grey
- Recy Hooded Jacket – Red Tango
Vaute is the epitome of sustainable vegan fashion. And their designs are very stylish. I am beyond disspointed to hear they are closing shop.
However, if you’re looking to buy one of their vegan coats, now is a good time to grab one on sale! It looks like all the popular designs have been snapped up already, but many men’s styles remain:
Psst: My Cruelty-Free Swap featuring The Emily by VAUTE is live now!
Formerly known as
I have tried Wuxly coats myself and think they are an excellent ethical alternative to Canada Goose or Moose Knuckle coats. They are definitely Canadian-winter proof!
Take advantage of their Trade Up Program to recycle your old winter coat and save on a new one from Wuxly.
Vegan, Sustainable Winter Coats & Jackets from Wuxly