Charlotte Tilbury: Luxury, Cruelty Free AND Vegan?
Glamorous Makeup for the Cruelty-Free Vegan Beauty Lover
All Hail Charlotte Tilbury! As you may know, Charlotte Tilbury is one of the very few luxury makeup and skincare lines that is cruelty-free! (The company does not conduct or require animal testing in any part of their makeup production. And they do not sell in China where animal testing of imported finished products is a requirement.)
Let me first emphasize this is a massive step for a luxury brand to take a stand against (potential) profit and for animal rights. I have a great amount of respect for Charlotte and her company for that. I do hope the company continues to raise the bar for others in the luxury industry.
Luxury Makeup that is Cruelty-Free … and Vegan?
Luxury, cruelty free and vegan items are an even more difficult thing to find. (Believe me, I’ve been searching.) Naturally, you may be curious what items from the Charlotte Tilbury line are vegan if any?
I contacted team Tilbury, and they gave me this statement on the vegan-status of the Charlotte Tilbury makeup line:
Thank you for your email! I can confirm that Carmine is the only animal by-product used in our products, the products that include this ingredient and therefore are unsuitable for vegans are:
Lip Lustre Glosses, K.I.S.S.I.N.G Lipsticks (excluding Love Bite, So Marilyn, Night Crimson, Nude Kate, Stoned Rose, Coachella Coral and Velvet Underground) Colour Chameleons, Cheek to Chic Blushers, Matte Revolution Lipsticks, Beach Sticks, Luxury Eyeshadow Palettes (excluding The Sophisticate, The Golden Goddess and The Rebel)
Please also note that the ingredients for almost all of our products are listed on our website, CharlotteTilbury.com. If you require any further information, please don’t hesitate to ask!
I appreciate them taking the time to list out which products are not vegan. However, I did notice this was not a complete list, either that or not up-to-date. For example, many of the Eyes to Mesmerise and Hot Lips lipsticks say they “may contain” carmine. (?)
As per the rep’s statement, the following are NOT vegan products from the Charlotte Tilbury makeup line.
List of Non-Vegan Makeup Items
These items contain Carmine:
- Lip Lustre Glosses (all)
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Bitch Perfect
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Valentine
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Heburn Honey
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Penelope Pink
- Colour Chameleons (all)
- Cheek to Chic blushes (all)
- Matte Revolution lipsticks (all)
- Beach Sticks
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – Legendary Muse
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – The Uptown Girl
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – The Rock Chick
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – The Dolce Vita
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – The Vintage Vamp
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – The Glamour Muse
Featured: Charlotte Tilbury – Filmstar Bronze & Glow Kit.
After looking at the entire line, that does still leave a large variety that would be suitable for veganistas looking to add glam luxury to their makeup collection. (I have omitted any items with questionable ingredient lists, regardless of not being specified by the rep’s email.)
List of Vegan Makeup Items
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Love Bite
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – So Marilyn
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Night Crimson
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Nude Kate
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Stoned Rose
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Coachella Coral
- K.I.S.S.I.N.G lip stick – Velvet Underground
- Lip Cheat pencil liners (all)
- Brow Lift, 3-in-1 brow product (all)
- Full Fat Lashes mascara
- The Feline Flick Eyeliner liquid – Panther
- The Classic Eyeliner pencil – Audrey
- The Classic Eyeliner pencil – Sophia
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – The Sophisticate
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – The Golden Goddess
- Luxury Eyeshadow Palette – The Rebel
Featured: Charlotte Tilbury – Luxury Eyeshadow Palette in The Rebel, Lip Cheat lip pencil in Pillow Talk, Shephora limited edition bamboo brushes.
The Purist’s Picks
The following are top-notch, highly useable vegan makeup options from CT that I adore :
Room For Improvement
What does irritate me a little bit is that most of the products in the Charlotte Tilbury line use those universal ingredient labels, which makes it difficult to track down which products contain carmine. For example, here is the “may contain” ingredient list that appears on all their Luxury Eyeshadow palettes:
May Contain: Ultramarines CI 77007, Carmine CI 75470, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Blue 1 Lake CI 42090, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Manganese Violet CI 77742, Iron Oxides CI 77492, Iron Oxides CI 77499, Iron Oxides CI 77491]
Because Carmine CI 75470 being listed second I didn’t think at any of the palettes were vegan. However, the CT representative stated in her email that The Golden Goddess, The Sophisticate, and The Rebel Luxury Eyeshadow Palettes do not contain carmine. But how would someone browsing online or at the makeup counter know that by reading the label?
A little suggestion Team Tilbury, if you are reading this: Your products are absolutely dreamy, but we would love slightly clearer ingredient lists so we know what ingredient is in which product. Please and thank you!